Taking a Bow to the Egg



Well, finally I find a moment or two for a quick blog! It has been a hectic few weeks since I have managed to find some free time to share some more images and a favourite recipe or two. 

My new years resolution of a blog a week has gone right out of the window, and I must say it is quite liberating to stop fretting about my lack of "discipline" and just accept the fact that maybe I was setting the bar a little too high considering all of the other demands in my life.

Just to make sure I don't completely lose the plot and let another week slip by, I am going to take a quick bow to the simple Egg. A hero of the food world that is not only nutritional but deeply satisfying.

Though , not before a little anecdote of my childhood that I am sure you would agree should surely have put me off my love affair with eggs.
You see, many were the days when I would arrive home from school sports, starving, ready to raid the fridge, only to be served rather hard shriveled up fried eggs, that had been prepared two hours before by our housekeeper and then left in the ovens warming draw to keep warm or shall I say "dry out".
Yes, you can only imagine, not very appetizing.

But not even those memories could destroy my firm bond with the Egg.




I cannot help but add in these beautiful pictures of the area I drive through quite frequently when visiting a horse rescue centre...I pass a chicken farm and thus.........I take my bow!





                                                                                                                                       
One of my best accompaniments to that simple egg is asparagus.  There is a freshness and rich creaminess that hits the palate in the most gratifying way.
A fresh baguette to mop up your plate is a must.


This dish is an anytime indulgence, be it brunch,  a light lunch or a relaxed starter to a dinner party. Whatever your choice, it is a must to try out.



















When you buy asparagus be sure to check that they are fresh and firm. When breaking the asparagus stems, ensure you remove the hard fibrous parts, you need to hold each end of the asparagus and gently bend. The stems will snap off at the correct length. Discard the hard end and only use the tender ends.


      Grilled Asparagus with Poached Egg
  1. Wash and snap off  ends of approximately 10 spears of fresh Asparagus as described above.
  2. Place asparagus on a baking tray and drizzle with a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
   3.  Dot with a few knobs of butter and sprinkle ground salt and pepper to 
        taste.
        Place under the grill for approx 10 mins or until golden

   4.  Poach 1 extra large free range egg, either in a poacher with butter or        
        dropping into simmering water for approx 3 mins.
  
   5.  Arrange asparagus spears on a plate, and spoon over juices from baking
        tray.
       
   6.  Place hot poached egg in the middle and spoon remainder of the juices
        over the egg.

   7.  Grate Pecorino cheese over.

        Serve with a fresh baguette.

                                              This serves one.




             "Boredom is the dream bird that hatches the egg of experience.
          A rustling in the leaves drives him away."

                                     'Walter Benjamin'




No comments:

Post a Comment